The Blue Whale Game is also famously known as "Blue Whale Challenge". It is an online game originally originated in russia in the year 2013. Apparently the game consists of a series of predetermined dares, which a participant have to complete to finish the game. There are a total of 50 tasks in the game, and after each task participant have to inked a cut in their hand in a blueprint of a whale. The term Blue Whale is coined after a observed phenomenon that in major coastlines blue whales swim near the shores and finally commit suicide. In this dangerous game the final task is to commit suicide from the top of the building and ends one’s life.
This game is primarily player via a popular social network ‘VKontakte’, in Russia. It was first came released by a group from Russia called "F57". F57 is apparently one of the infamous existing "death groups" in the VKontakte social media.
Origin / Creator
A expelled psychology student named Philipp Budeikin from Russia has taken full credit for creating this dangerous game. According to him with each increasing day our society is getting populated with unworthy people and hence stalling the growth of worthy ones (Mentally and physically worthy). He says that, he has started to "clean" the society by pushing to suicide those he deemed as having no value.
This dangerous game has apparently took more than 300 lives(reported incidents) till now and also lot of people are still playing this disgusting game. To make this game more interactive participants are urgeged by moderators of the game to send pictures of each task after completing them.
A lot of mass suicides have also been reported since after it resurfaces in the year 2016. After a journalist has thrown some lights on the unreported countless death by this dangerous game, the report have sent down moral shrivers in the country. This incident alone has enabled Russia to renew a bill in their Suicide Prevention legislation and also sent a class 1 warning to the citizens across the world to avoid being in contact in this dangerous game. It has also been linked to a lot of self harms games across the globe including “human embroidery” in China.
Structure and Rules
Blue whale challenge is primely based on the intriguing relationship between the moderators and the participants. Administrators or moderators of the deceitful game give a series of dares that one have to complete to win the game. Most of the dares includes self harm and inking by knife to prove their seriousness in the game. All the dares are laid over a course of 50 days and at last ending one life in the 50th day. There are few conditions that a participant have to acknowledge before starting the game.
- Participants are sweared to complete each dare with almost certain discretion and accuracy.
- They cannot leave the game once started. Administrator says that if they do so, they will be tracked by their filled application while registering, and will be killed.
- They have to send a picture of their each completed task at the end of the day to the moderators of the game.
- They cannot seek help from other people if they are scared in between tasks.
- After completion of each task, you share updates on various social media platforms using hashtags #curatorfindme, #BlueWhaleChallenge, and similar.
- The players provide proof in the form of photos or videos of the tasks they have performed and then upload it with hashtags mentioned above.
Here is a list of bizarre list of Blue whale dare challenges penned down by an anonymous reddit user from Russia
- Carve with a razor "f57" on your hand, send a photo to the curator.
- Wake up at 4.20 a.m. and watch psychedelic and scary videos that curator sends you.
- Cut your arm with a razor along your veins, but not too deep, only 3 cuts, send a photo to the curator.
- Draw a whale on a sheet of paper, send a photo to curator.
- If you are ready to "become a whale", carve "YES" on your leg. If not, cut yourself many times (punish yourself).
- Task with a cipher.
- Carve "f40" on your hand, send a photo to curator.
- Type "#i_am_whale" in your VKontakte status.
- You have to overcome your fear.
- Wake up at 4:20 a.m. and go to a roof (the higher the better)
- Carve a whale on your hand with a razor, send a photo to curator.
- Watch psychedelic and horror videos all day.
- Listen to music that "they" (curators) send you.
- Cut your lip.
- Poke your hand with a needle many times
- Do something painful to yourself, make yourself sick.
- Go to the highest roof you can find, stand on the edge for some time.
- Go to a bridge, stand on the edge.
- Climb up a crane or at least try to do it
- The curator checks if you are trustworthy.
- Have a talk "with a whale" (with another player like you or with a curator) in Skype.
- Go to a roof and sit on the edge with your legs dangling.
- Another task with a cipher.
- Secret task.
- Have a meeting with a "whale."
- The curator tells you the date of your death and you have to accept it.
- Wake up at 4:20 a.m. and go to rails (visit any railroad that you can find).
- Don't talk to anyone all day.
- Make a vow that "you're a whale."
- 30-49, everyday you wake up at 4:20am, watch horror videos, listen to music that "they" send you, make 1 cut on your body per day, talk "to a whale."
- 50. Jump off a high building. Take your life.
A few weeks back a investigating journalist signed up on the Russian social media ‘VKontakte’ where the recruitment for the deadly game was going on and,asked about about Blue Whale, she was directed to a page which is used for sole purpose of recruiting people for the challenge. The page was full of disturbing images of mutilated bodies and eerie stories of its victims. Soon a curator contacted the Journalist and following conversation takes place. Soon afterwards curator get suspicious and stop replying the thread.
Few weeks back 22-year-old creator of the game was arrested in Russia. Philipp Budeikin is sentenced to serve three years in prison in Russia. And now few months back, Russian police arrested Ilya Sidorov, who is a resident of Moscow and is speculated to be main admin of the horrifying game.
In an interview in May this year, he was asked to authenticity of his doing. He said, "Yes, I truly was doing that. Don't worry, you'll understand everything. Everyone will understand". Philipp commented that "There are people - and there is biological waste. Those who do not represent any value for society. Who cause or will cause only harm to society. I was cleaning our society of such people", to a reporter of Saint Petersburg News.
Leading psychologists asked all the parents and concerned adults to keep a lookout for these kind of desperate suicidal citizens. They have also suggested parents to put a ban on limit of websites their child visits and keep a closed vigil on their online activities. They said that “It’s important to restrict such content. When a person is depressed, he or she is in a very fragile state of mind. Anyone who seems powerful to them and comes across as an anchor point, can have the potential to influence their mind. When you tell a depressed person that he can live, and there is hope, they don’t find such words to be realistic. But if someone tells him that he is fit to die, and there is nothing wrong is seeking liberation and suicide is an easier, logical way out, he immediately relates to it. Exposure to such content is extremely dangerous for depressed young people.”
Parents for these changes in your child’s behaviour. Having more than five of these symptoms could indicate that he/she is having a tough time and could be easily manipulated in giving up on one's life.
- Signs of depression.
- Suicidal tendencies.
- Negative approach towards life situations.
- Sudden withdrawal from favorite activities.
- Addiction to social network.
- Irregular sleep patterns.
- Escalated anxiety and fear.
- Aggressive attitude.
It's our sincere request to all the people reading this article to help those people around you those are not behaving normally around you. An please refrain and discourage anyone who is trying to play this sinister game in sprite of any condition. Yeah, i totally understand the urge of giving up, but remember there's always a new beginning after each sunrise. Parents are strictly advised to consult psychologists if child mental health is beyond their understanding. And if possible put a 24 x 7 monitoring grid in your child’s online activity to prevent such doom.